It's February, and that means it's my month as a guest designer at Birds of a Feather kits! Yes, I'm a little excited. The kit is well-thought out with beautiful Fancy Pants and Imaginisce papers, there are lots of beautiful elements, and I look forward to showing you what I created with it, but first up, I have a tutorial.
Since it's February, the month of Valentine's Day, and the kit is very Valentines- themed, I thought I'd show you a fun heart embellishment you can easily make to add to your cards, layouts and other projects. My very talented friend, Jayne, took the accordion flower in its circle shape and tweaked it into a gorgeous heart, and I thank her for allowing me to share her idea with BOAF fans and readers of my blog.
You will need:
- a scrap of cardstock, punched into a circle (a small chipboard circle works too)
- a piece or scrap of patterned paper that is 12" long
- hot glue gun or other strong adhesive (I used Beacon's 3 in 1)
- scoring board, or trimmer with scoring blade, or other scoring method
1. Choose the width for your 12" patterned paper. I used 1 1/4" wide. For a layout, you could go one larger, at 1 1/2". For cards, you could cut to 3/4" or 1" wide. Once you've trimmed your paper to width, score it at the 6" mark and fold it in half. Set aside.
2. Create a template by trimming the scrap cardstock to 6" x 1 1/4", or the width you chose. Then draw a sort-of wave shape on the cardstock rectangle, that resembles this:
4. Lay the template over the patterned paper, making sure the lower end of the wave buffs up against the folded end of the patterned paper:
5. Follow the template to cut out the patterned paper. Open the patterned paper. Using your preferred scoring method, score the patterned paper at 1 1/4". Bring the two ends together and adhere.
6. Gently press the accordion flat so that the straight side is in the centre (similar method as creating an accordion circle flower/medallion). Use a generous amount of adhesive on the cardstock circle and adhere your heart to it, to give the heart a secure base.
7. Embellish the paper heart to suit the rest of your project.
This tutorial uses products from the Birds of a Feather February kit and add-on kit: Pink Paislee Artisan Elements circles (which I've left white for now, but may alter), Imaginisce patterned paper, Maya Road Shot Through the Heart chipboard set, Pebbles candy dots.
I'll be back later to show you what I use this amazing heart embellishment on.
Thanks for popping by!